Search This Blog

Sunday, March 03, 2013

Reading tea leaves


On the weather segment of the news tonight, the forecaster showed a disturbance in the upper atmosphere halfway between Siberia and Alaska. The computer that tracks storms from this area spit out 3 scenarios for the movement of the disturbance. According to one of the models, my area should get a soaking rain next Sunday. According to a second model, rain will come next Sunday, but the front bringing it will blow right through without leaving much rain. The third scenario shows the front coming through too far north to bring any rain at all. Weather forecasting is inexact still after many years of refining the technique of reading radar and clouds.

 And such are the days of our lives. Our minds can easily run some possible scenarios of what the future holds given the variables that face us each routinely. Some years are so out of kilter with the rest of the years, that it is impossible to predict what will happen very far down the road. Other years are much more stable and allow us to predict with accuracy what the next few months will be like.

 I've looked off the coast of Alaska on my horizon. But, I know that where I am now is temporary. Predicting the movement of disturbances and their timing for my area is still enigmatic, but I do know that spring is coming. It comes every year, and most of the time it is wet. Last year, not so much. The rain came early this year. Spring is early too. Rains should come in June. I'm running the models in my mind. But I'm living for the precipitation of June. Till then... chin up.

No comments: