Search This Blog

Friday, March 15, 2013

Time for landscaping

In one phase of my life, I lived in a house for 13 years.  I didn't really do anything to it as far as landscaping went - for the whole 13 years.  I did put a pool in the back yard after the first two years, but didn't really landscape the yard around it.  I did maintain the two trees that grew in the back yard.  They grew strong, tall, and thick over the years.  The bushes and trees in the front of the house maintained their luster.  And, the grass was cut and green during the summers.  Cooking barbequed meats was a pleasure under the roof of the patio, but I never really changed the patio's looks either.

I look back on that and see that it represented what I was doing in life.  I maintained the seeds of what had been engendered within me since childhood.  I added something pleasurable to my life that would add sparkle to it.  And, one season of the year the house looked really nice.

I don't live in that house anymore.  But, I have seen how much could have been done.  Of course, there's always a reason why nothing did get done.  Mainly my kids were growing up and any large amounts of time spent were dedicated to taking them places or spending time with them, their friends, and their events.

But, now... there is another agenda for me.  I can spend large portions of time however I want to spend them.  My landscape will better reflect the more aesthetic things in life and the more meaningful things.  I need to plant something in the right places that will grow.  I need to nourish what is in place or change the look altogether to a view more to my liking.  I need to invest in plants that return year after year.  And I need to make the overall look something attractive so that return on investment (resale) is always enhanced.  The housing market will someday be very conducive to turning a large profit.

No comments: