Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Sweet translation


There's always more than one way to say something. Translation work shows this principle best and interjections or expletives highlight the difference. Spanish speakers use ojala when they are excited that something is about to happen. They anticipate the event, counting on the event to happen and meet all their expectations.

Usually, ojala is translated as "hopefully." But that doesn't really capture the excitement and anticipation of the Spanish phrase. Hopefully is much too casual. It has too much que sera sera in it to be a decent translation. "I hope so" is the sister translation if one wants to expand beyond the single word to a word phrase. But even that leaves out the expectant factor of ojala. Perhaps "I can't wait" is an equivalent phrase for ojala, but it's a phrase rather than a one word equivalent. I think when people are anticipating something good for themselves, they smile and say "Sweet!" with great emphasis. Sometimes people will become really animated when they think something great is coming their way. They'll exclaim, "Yes!"

So, "sweet," "yes," and "can't wait" are sometimes the best translation choices for ojala. I've never heard it translated those ways, but that's because the Spanish phrase is a stock phrase, so it is set in stone. Translators want to make the matching English translation a stock phrase as well. So, if they can make it a one-word translation, they feel like they have achieved their objective. Of course, they have fallen short for the reasons stated.

I look at life's experiences in much the same way. It seems that people want to duplicate good experiences. So, they find some experiences that relate somehow and they're satisfied. But when I have an experience that I want duplicated, I will not use a stock phrase that doesn't capture all the same aspects.

And when I speak of that one experience in life that I have faith will recur, then I use the word that captures all the aspects I need. Ojala. But for friends who won't use Google translator, allow me to translate for  you... "Sweet!!!"

No comments: