Search This Blog

Thursday, May 20, 2010

What a heart can do

"My heart goes out to you," is a phrase that is used plentifully enough in English. It's a good example of personification, that is, an action of something non-human like a heart that can't really take an action like "go," but that can if it acts like a person. Almost anything can be personified. Other organs of our body don't go out to another person. Livers don't; kidneys don't; brains don't; spleens don't. Just the heart. Language is funny like that.




A lot of things in life are anomalies, that is, they are set apart from the rest of it for one reason or another. Some anomalies in life are set apart for the pain they cause. We all have those anomalies. Others are set apart for the joy they bring. We all have those anomalies too. That's the wave effect in our lives, the peaks and valleys.




I sure love the joyful anomalies. Maybe if I think of enough personifications, I will stay at the peak for a longer period of time (ha ha). I am thankful, though, for the anomalies that make my heart leap (see there's another personification). Long live hearts going and leaping.

No comments: