Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

Symbols of our story



I was with a group of English teachers recently who had selected a novel called The Things They Carried for their students to read. I had not ever heard of the novel before, and all I could pick up from the teacher group was that it was a Vietnam War novel. I had to go to the internet to a study guide to find out what the contents were since I didn't have time to read the novel. It's a collection of stories written by a platoon leader of the men under him in Vietnam. He talks about what the men carried on them and why they carried those items. Some items were, of course, mandatory for the war, but the rest were sentimental items that bore great meaning for the men. It sounded like a great study in symbolism.


I have been traveling quite a bit this calendar year, and I remember thinking when I made the first trip several months ago that I wanted certain items in my briefcase. There were, of course, certain mandatory items for my job. I have my computer and flash drive, my cords for phone and computer. There are the papers that have to be referred to for the daily work. And, I have a book for reading on the plane.



But, then, there are four sentimental items. One is a barely used wallet - no money in it or pictures - with just a card to a bank account. But, it's a special account for me because it's my hope account. Then, there's the card my daughter sent to me for my last birthday. If my plane goes down, I want her to know she was special to me. I have my phone for all kinds of necessary reasons, but I also use it for looking at pictures that have been sent to me. Those pictures are special. I can enlarge them, move them around, and look at them as long as I want to. And, I have a blue envelope with a card in it from a very close friend. It has traveled with me since I started this new job. Its words are etched in my mind, but I have it with me just the same - always.
The things I carry... the story of what is meaningful in my life!

No comments: