Search This Blog

Thursday, May 06, 2010

I just love it


I have been with some people my age who have come back from the battle front. They are usually reticent. If they do talk, it's not about the war they have returned from, not about being in an environment when you are among enemies, even among enemies that appear as friends. Usually it's about a time before the war... a time when they were themselves... a time when they had an identity, a voice.

I have also been with some young men who recently have returned from Iraq and Afghanistan. They are usually reticent. If they do talk, it's not about the battles of Baghdad or of Kabul, not about the Taliban or Osama, not about the feeling that no one is covering you their rear guard. Usually, it's about a time before they went to the middle east... a time when they remember their identity... a time when they had voice.

Today I heard from a very close friend. The message was short, but so encouraging. I just loved it. Lately, it seems that I have been on a battlefield every day among the enemy with no one to cover my back. So to receive a short, but very encouraging message was like a battle-worn soldier finally getting to take a leave of absence at the end of a long campaign. Thank you, my very close friend, for helping me find a voice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can kick their (not sure who their is) ass if you need me to...

Dwordman said...

Love your spunk! I already feel better.

Dwordman said...

I can get you the perfect Canadian hat to wear while you're doing it. LOL.