Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Illusionary flying

Sometimes, in moments suspended in time and disconnected from reality, I think of a more ideal world. I think during those moments that some activities or institutions really shouldn't exist. I think of the great wisdom words of the one who changed the world and superimpose them on the realities of the world in which I live. "Don't look here or over there for the Creator's presence," he said, "because His presence is inside you." So I question some of my activities and some of the institutions that exist and say, "Why?" I realize that perhaps I have been a lot like Dumbo the flying elephant who had to have a feather in his trunk before he thought he could fly. It wasn't true. The Creator's rejuvenating power is within, yet I seek it from outside—in activities and institutions. In those suspended moments disconnected from reality, I see myself throwing away the feather and flying without it just like Dumbo. But, I wake up everyday in a time frame very much connected to reality. Elephants don't fly at all in this world.

No comments: