Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Sacred ground

I have noticed that the term sacred ground has been applied to more than the Native Americans' burial grounds. Everyone has a space mentally or physically that they don't want others intruding into. I certainly have this area. I walked into a room in my house yesterday and found that 3 teenagers were in this room. They weren't planning to mess up the room, but the room is special in my house. I can't even begin to explain how special this room is. But, so the girls could also appreciate the special nature of this room, I told them they were on sacred ground. They knew it was and respected the room's hallowed status. Spirituality, perhaps, occupies this same special status. What we value is what we would like others to treat as special. Our connections to the Creator should receive respect, certainly from us, but from others. And when that happens we feel that we have trod on sacred ground.

No comments: