Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Tendencies

As I type this morning, the air temperature outside is 20 degrees. The inside temperature is 72 degrees. I am not bothered by the fact that outside the air is 52 degrees colder. In fact, I am pretty oblivious to this difference. I completely take it for granted that I am warm when I shouldn't be. Modern society has advanced so far that there's no telling how long the list would be if I were to enumerate all that I take for granted. However, I think this blindness is also used to cull out what has been done so that I will be able to see what is left to be done. Some people are good at looking back and reminding me how far society has come. Others are good at looking ahead and pointing to all that is left to be done. As in most areas of life, a balance is needed. I tend to look ahead instead of back, but I see the value in looking back. I think when differentials are great like the temperatures this morning, I am reminded to take stock of my tendencies and take a more balanced approach. It might make me more grateful, less driven, as well as more balanced.

No comments: