Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2005

A metaphor for living

Bowing is something that people used to do. The ancients used to bow before authorities and deities. The custom is gone now, but the metaphor remains. I hear some say that the physical act is meaningful because the mind will follow. I don't know. I also hear that going underwater and holding your breath is something that allows a person's mind to suspend itself and rejuvenate one's thoughts. I've actually tried that. I didn't get that effect. Bowing might just yield the same result. Actually, I have tried bowing. Forms seem empty. But I will say this. When a life event of magnitude hits one, the person feels it with every fiber of physical pain and with every thought of mental anguish. The metaphor doesn't need to be followed or preceded by some physical act to get one in the mood or get one psychologically ready. The life event flattens one's reality, and when flattening has occurred, bowing has taken place.

I humbly BOW these days when death squares off in front of me.

No comments: