Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Analogies for life

Life has 101 analogies. Forrest Gump made the most famous one probably. Tonight I had a conversation about life with a lady whom I know little about. But she told me about her life. It wasn't sad; it was just not how she had thought of it as a young woman. That's why we get such analogies such as "life's a bitch." I listened and thought in an analogy as she spoke. Life is such a long and winding road. oops, I copied a famous song on that one.

At one point she tried to engage me in telling my story, my life. I really didn't do that. I don't know why other than I didn't have an analogy for my life. I gave it some characteristics as I related one episode in my life. But, I didn't have a picture of what life was or was like. I think that probably allows the Maker of all to do more with us. If we have an analogy, we have put Him in a box. If we have no picture of how life should be, perhaps we can be more easily led.

Maybe that's a lie. Maybe if we have a clear picture of life, we can more easily move with His help inside that picture.

But maybe that's a lie, too. It would create expectations for life. That would certainly lead to disappointment.

All I know is that life doesn't really have a plan to it. At least not the plan we ourselves choose for it. And if we make choices along the way, I'm not sure that our Maker has anything but general plans for us. If we try to chart future plans based on past plans, the direction changes. Not knowing the picture of life keeps us humble, excited,wondering, suprised, and devastated. All in one rolled-up ball. oops, There's an analogy. I'm sure it's distorted. The one who made us has to be laughing.

No comments: