Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2005

Written thoughts

The written language is a contrived language in that it reflects speech, but depends on a grammar that in many instances is not the same as the spoken dialect. Punctuation is all contrived because speech does not use punctuation. So, it amazes me that ancient contact with the gods was written. Of course, the oldest material is certainly based on an oral tradition. But, as time went on, material was written as events happened, thus escaping the oral stage. Some say sacred documents are "inspired." I don't really know what that means. I guess I also wonder why a deity would want to be reduced to a contrived language instead of a vibrant living language. I intend to use language to speak of the Creator and his fabulous story of raising a son from the grave. But, to write down thoughts that rob the living language of its life and put it in a contrived form is a little short of inspired for me. Actions and talk ought to align themselves nicely. Actions and writing are not even under consideration.

No comments: