Search This Blog

Thursday, August 11, 2005

White fields

Funny. The week started with an event that tasted sweet like fruit. But today, that is a whole other story. My dad used to hold up a white sheet of paper in front of people he was speaking to. The only marking on it would be a dot in the center of the paper. Naturally, people would tell him, after he asked them what they saw, that they saw a black dot in the center of the paper. He would make the point that most of the paper showed a white field, but that they wanted to see something that was barely visible. Today, I think that the little black dot is what caught my attention even though a whole field of white was visible. I told my wife the day was a train wreck. If I looked at the written evidence, I would draw a different conclusion than I did about the day. But, if I went with what I read on people's faces and some of the bad feelings detected in the air, then I think the day was a train wreck. I already know how to make a comeback in the future and how to face the day tomorrow. I will be looking at the white field of paper around me.

No comments: