Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Work in progress

People have learned much through the centuries. I was watching an archeology show on TV the other night. I enjoyed how the narrators traced human skeletons from a million years ago to the present. I learned much as well. There were 6 different kinds of humans. Some of them coexisted and some seemed to develop over time from others before them. They even showed how the jaw changed when language was developed and how the cranial cavity enlarged after people seemed to have spread from Africa. This, of course, is a very different story from the one I grew up hearing about the origins of humanity. The story of humanity still needs a great deal of tweaking since we have only found pockets of places with bones. Human existence was nearly snuffed out about 70,000 years ago. But, that might have been intentional. After that point, homo sapiens began their rise to supremacy. I guess the story I heard as a youth was the one about the recent history of one branch of humans. And maybe the sphinx is 15,000 years old rather than 4500 years old. And maybe the Black Sea does have a civilization at its bottom that goes back to around 10,000 BC. And maybe the Creator has been working with humans for a lot longer than we want to admit. And maybe I need to give Him a whole lot more credit for bringing this world to the point it is than I have before. And if I understand a picture drawn to this scale, how can I not be tolerant of others. We have been a work in progress for a really, really long time.

No comments: