Search This Blog

Thursday, November 11, 2010

The last is better than the first

I have a filing cabinet in my study that has fallen into disuse. Oh, I still get bills and statements of all kinds, but they are electronically generated and stored. I used to have a system. I would keep a year's worth of bills, and then, every January, I would make all new folders, move the last year's to a file below the active bills drawer, move those bills to a box, and then store the oldest bills and statements in the garage. I can hear you laughing already.




This last year, by contrast, I paid all bills online through my bank's bill pay. The bank keeps the records of all bills and loans paid. I just have to enter a user name and password... no files. Even when I order something like K-cups for my hot chocolate, tea, and apple cider, I log in, order from a shopping cart, pay the bill online, and the record is kept on the company's server. I can call it up at any time if I ever get curious or need to print a record of it for some reason.


Computing in the cloud is beautiful, and that makes my filing cabinet defunct. I started with a lot of filing cabinets in life because keeping them was expected and was the most efficient way at the time. But a few years have passed, things have changed, they're now defunct. I have ended with the beauty of computing in the cloud, and how beautiful it truly is!

No comments: