Search This Blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

Seeing the surface


I had a friend from early college days contact me about 6 months ago. We had not spoken or seen each other from those days until he contacted me just last May. I am not sure why exactly that he made contact, but he seemed to want to share his life that was filled with disappointment. He wanted to compare situations at one point, probably around last August, I guess to give himself a frame of reference for situations with education, religion, accomplishments, children, and career moves.

The comparisons he saw made him think that my life had been one of relative success. I think it was a matter of the grass being greener on the other side. He had a number of successes. But, he only looked on the surface. He didn't ask about what may lie behind the scenes except in the area of religion. I know what lies behind the scenes, and I know how to make the facade in front look polished and shiny.

I could act perfectly satisfied with all that has transpired, but that would not be reality. Reality is that I have satisfaction for some facets of my life and a void to fill in other areas. The satisfying parts add to my happiness quotient. But, the void is all about working hard to fill it with accomplishments that are still attainable and about maintaining hope for a dream I have to be realized. I really think my friend's life is not too different from that no matter what he wants to make of the comparisons.

No comments: