Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Looking at the present landscape


Geologists and archaeologists are always finding evidence for an earth that looked so very different from the one we live on now. We have had oceans that existed that don't exist now. We have had tropical climate on places that are frozen wastelands now. Bones of crocodiles that swam in swamps are found today in sand dunes where there is no water at all. We find axe blades and arrowheads chipped from rocks in places where living conditions would surely make humans today look for another place to live. There are ancient ruins of buildings under the seas. There are precision-cut rock plates used in construction of buildings before any known tools to cut precision rock plates were known, lines that stretch for miles on tops of mountains forming designs before aerial views could have been possible, and megaton rocks dragged (who knows how) from far places before being assembled into ceremonial gathering places. There are houses from Neolithic times in the Arctic Circle built underground using small rocks that have just recently come from being submerged in the ocean. Looking back on the earth's history is a challenging puzzle for us moderns to piece together. But usually a harder look reveals some unifying cause or theme to them.

Sometimes as I look at the landscape of my life, I see it as a challenging puzzle. Some of the jobs I have held or the views of life I have voiced seem to be like a checkerboard of various moves. But when I look hard enough, there is an underlying theme to most of them. They are not just wild hairs. I have learned more with each passing year. And, I have made adjustments in judgment due to those learnings. I think it is also true of our hopes and aims. They change as our experience informs them. So, while my hopes may look different from the past, I work everyday at making sure that my aim is true and connected to my nature because I truly desire my hopes to become a part of the current landscape.

No comments: