Search This Blog

Thursday, June 10, 2010

A touch from others


I had a phone call the other night from a number that I didn't recognize. It had a Dallas area code, so I answered it. It was a high school basketball buddy that I had not spoken to in 7 years. We had a good talk and "caught up" on some of the matters that we had in common. I admire his desire to want to stay in touch through the years. He's a good friend.

I had a phone call just four days ago. I didn't recognize the number, but I answered anyway because it was about 10:30 at night. The voice of my friend who was in Nigeria was on the other end. I had not talked with him in about 4 months. I wasn't aware that he had come back to the states, so the call was a nice surprise. He was glad to be back even if it was going to behere for only a month. We talked of all his encounters in Africa like riots and life on the edge of the Sahara Desert. It was good to be in touch. He goes back in July. I admire his stamina to live for a cause he truly believes in.

I had a phone call yesterday afternoon. I didn't have to look at the number because I recognized the unique ring tone I've given this person. The fact that I have a unique ring tone for this person signals how special this friend is. I was driving to my mother's house on a crowded freeway, but my friend's voice soothed my soul immediately. We talked and laughed, a hallmark of this person. We talked of matters that affected our lives and of children. I admire this person's exuberance, love of life, and raw intelligence among many other attributes worthy of respect.

Phone calls from those in our spheres... It's a beautiful thing to keep in touch and let my friends touch my soul in admirable ways.

No comments: