Search This Blog

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Morphed


There is a new plastic bracelet out that kids buy a lot. The plastic is soft, yet rigid enough to have a certain shape like guitars, cars, hearts, tennis rackets, etc. When you put the bracelet on, it stretches and becomes round to fit your wrist, but when you take the bracelet off, it goes back to its original shape. I think that's why kids like them so well. They return to their original shapes.

Some things in life are like that. They return to their original shapes. But, life's experiences don't act like that. Generally, we go through experiences and are not left the same. Recently, I was taught to enjoy reality TV programming. It stretched my horizons. I learned the names of the stars and the network of friends that they had. It was exciting to stretch myself. Right now, I don't have time to watch much TV at all, but I have found I cannot return to the shape I had before I stretched myself. I have dropped Criminal Minds completely from my repertoire. It used to be a staple in my viewing diet, but my attraction to it has changed. I haven't watched NCIS in three months, another former staple. I find myself wanting to watch the new programming I had been introduced to, plus another program or two that I have picked up like Flashpoint.

I have enjoyed so much broadening my horizons, I wouldn't go back to my former shape if I could. The heart has trapped new scenes and cherishes those trappings.

No comments: